Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 6, Descriptive Cataloging the Second Batch

Day 6
09/16/2011
Start time: 8:00
[1 Hour Lunch]
End time: 5:00
Hours Worked: 8
Total Hours: 48
On Tuesday, I finished subject cataloging all of the first batch of ETD records that were in the system when I first started my practicum.  Now I am starting on the second batch of ETDs that contains 18 records.  My first batch of ETDs cotained 12 records.

Since I hadn't done any descriptive cataloging of ETDs in two weeks, I had to readjust to doing it and remember all of the steps that needed to be taken to make sure that the record is accurate.  I made a couple of mistakes in the beginning, but I quickly discovered that I had made them and corrected them.  While working with these records, I came across something that I haven't dealt with yet.  For two of the records in the new batch, the full-text version has not been released yet and won't be released while I'm doing my practicum.  Sevim guided me through what to do in this kind of situation, and it was pretty easy to deal with.  I was able to deal with the second one of these by myself.

Half of the records in the new batch need a Name Authority Record (NAR) because either the authors didn't follow the directions and use the same name they used in their thesis or dissertation on the ETD form, or the author has an common name that's already in the Authority Record.

I finally got a Philosophy thesis.  That makes me pretty happy.  I believe it is about Aristotle.  Maybe it'll give me a good idea of what I want to do mine on whenever I get the opportunity.  I can't think of anything else to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment