Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Day 13

Day 13
10/11/2011
Start time: 8:00
[1 Hour Lunch]
End time: 5:00
Hours Worked: 8
Total Hours: 104


The first ETD I cataloged today was an MFA thesis, a play, titled Fire Dance by Michael S. Parsons.  This play is about two brothers who come together after their mother dies.  I choose the subject heading "Brothers--Drama."  The call number that I chose was PS3616.A775 ǂb F57 2011.  That's all that was needed and here's the headings I chose:

650 0 Brothers ǂv Drama.

Sevim suggested that I performed a WorldCat browse to find out where to put a call number.  The new call number that I decided on was PS3616.A7827 ǂb F57 2011.
The second ETD that I cataloged today was an art thesis, an exhibition, titled Darker Now by Andrew Martin Simmons.  The first heading was the name of the artist with the subdivision "Exhibitions."  The artist created two kinds of art for the thesis.  The first one was easily identified as ceramic sculpture, but the second one was a little more difficult to classify.  For the second one, he took leaflets and changed them in some way with what looked like paint.  I had a hard time figuring out what to do with this one.  I finally figured out using a combination of Wikipedia and ClassificationWeb that this was called mixed media painting and that there was a subject heading for it, so I chose that one.   So these are the headings that I ended up with:

60010Simmons, Andrew Martin ǂv Exhibitions.
650 0Ceramic sculpture ǂz United States ǂy 21st century ǂv Exhibitions.
650 0Mixed media painting ǂz United States ǂy 21st century ǂv Exhibitions.

Sevim said that this one was good.

The third ETD I cataloged today was a nursing dissertation titled The Experiences of Living with Excess Weight as an Adolescent: Everyday Life and Healthcare Encounters by Robin Lynne Brian.  This dissertation was a phenomenological study of the experiences of obese adolescents.  The subjects interviewed were limited to Ohio.  It wasn't really about anything other than this.  The subject heading I chose was "Obesity in adolescence--Ohio."  Here are the headings that I have:

650 0Obesity in adolescence ǂz Ohio.

Sevim suggested that I change the subdivision from "Ohio" to "United States" because it's not really important that it's in Ohio but that it's in the United States.  She also suggested I add the heading "Obesity in adolescence--United States--Psychological aspects."  These are the headings that I ended up with:

650 0 Obesity in adolescence ǂz United States.
650 0 Obesity in adolescence ǂz United States ǂx Psychological aspects.
The last ETD that I cataloged today was a political science dissertation titled International Labor Migration from Rural Central Asia: The Potential for Development in Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan by Halil Kursad Aslan.  The dissertation was about people migrating from Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan to primarily Russia and what effect this had on economic development in both of those countries because of the money send back both countries by their workers in Russia.  I wanted to have a subject heading for migration, but that wasn't available.  The subject heading "Migrant workers" was for people moving from one part of the country to another, and "Foreign workers" is used from people who move from one country to another.  So I chose that heading and subdivided it by both countries.  Then I used the heading "Economic development" and subdivided it by both countries.  Then I created the subject headings "Kyrgyzstan--Emigration and immigration--Economic aspects" and "Uzbekistan--Emigration and immigration--Economic aspects" when I found the "Emigration and immigration--Economic aspects" subdivision.  Finally the dissertation talks a lot about remittance earnings.  A search in LCSH for remittance earnings lead me to the subject heading "Emigrant remittances" which I subdivided by both the countries.  I used "Foreign workers" as the basis for my call number and had trouble decided between two call numbers (both of which I had to construct from Tables).  The call numbers were for a Central Asian General Labor call number (HD8670.22) and one focused on Kyrgyzstan specifically (HD8670.24).  I chose the former, but I'm not sure about it.  I'm going to get Sevim to look at it.  Here are all the subject headings I used:

651 0Kyrgyzstan ǂx Emigration and immigration ǂx Economic aspects.
651 0Uzbekistan ǂx Emigration and immigration ǂx Economic aspects.
650 0Foreign workers ǂz Kyrgyzstan.
650 0Foreign workers ǂz Uzbekistan.
650 0Economic development ǂz Kyrgyzstan.
650 0Economic development ǂz Uzbekistan.
650 0Emigrant remittances ǂz Kyrgyzstan.
650 0Emigrant remittances ǂz Kyrgyzstan.

Sevim suggested that I remove both the "Foreign workers" headings because they imply that foreign workers are coming into Krygyzstan and Uzbekistan.  She also said that I should use the call number that focuses on Krygyzstan (HD8670.24) because the dissertation only talks about two countries.  Here are the headings that I ended up with:

651 0 Kyrgyzstan ǂx Emigration and immigration ǂx Economic aspects.
651 0 Uzbekistan ǂx Emigration and immigration ǂx Economic aspects.
650 0 Economic development ǂz Kyrgyzstan.
650 0 Economic development ǂz Uzbekistan.
650 0 Emigrant remittances ǂz Kyrgyzstan.
650 0 Emigrant remittances ǂz Uzbekistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment